Accelerated Reader (AR) is a program containing assessments that correspond to many of our library books. Children take tests based on the book(s) that they have read, giving them a certain number of points. The points they earn can be used to purchase prizes. The students are able to “shop” three times per year. Students can choose to save their points till the end of the school year, spending those points on the prize or prizes they see fit. Donations of new items or gift certificates are accepted for the “AR Store.” Accelerated Reader will keep track of each student's progress, allowing the teachers to assist and motivate students. Listed below are the guidelines.
Individual Point Goals
- 1st Grade - 5 points
- 2nd Grade - 10 points
- 3rd Grade - 15 points
- 4th Grade - 20 points
- 5th Grade - 25 points
- 6th Grade - 30 points
- 7th Grade - 35 points
- 8th Grade - 40 points
- Students are required to take quizzes on books they have read independently, outside of class. If a book was read with their class for literature assignments, that quiz would be ineligible. However, younger students in 1st-4th grade may take quizzes on books their teacher has read to them in class.
- Students may take tests only on books that have been read during the present school year or the summer prior to that year.
- Students need to read at least one book at their reading level to meet the classroom point goal.
- Students may redeem their points during the year for awards or keep them until the end of the year for a larger prize.
- To qualify for the grand prize, individuals must earn a designated number of points according to their grade level.